Survey Definitions and Methodology of Mineral Production
The purpose of this web page is to provide information that will assist you in interpreting Natural Resources Canada's published survey data. The information is provided to ensure an understanding of the basic concepts that define the survey data, including variables and classifications, and the underlying statistical methods.
Key definitions are provided as the basic concept of the Minerals and Metals Statistics Division’s (MMSD) statistical survey methods. The operation unit (mine, mine/mill, quarry, pit or bog) is designated as the "establishment."
For statistical purposes, a mining establishment is defined as the smallest unit that is a separate operating entity capable of reporting on:
- Materials and supplies used,
- Goods purchased for resale in the same condition as purchased,
- Fuel and power consumed,
- Number of employees and salaries and wages,
- Person-hours for employees,
- Inventories, and
- Shipments or sales.
Mineral Production Definitions
- Definitions Related to Mineral Production
- Methodology for the Survey on Mineral Production
- Techniques Used to Calculate Data on the Mineral Production in Canada
- Symbols and Abbreviations